Tassie soil.

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

kiloz

Tassie soil.

Post by kiloz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:06 pm

What are the best machines to use in Tassie, and what is the soil like?
I,ve heard that PI machines don,t work too well there, because of the soil content.
Cheers.
kiloz.

alwayslookin

Re: Tassie soil.

Post by alwayslookin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:15 pm

hello Kiloz,
I use an old Whites GM2 which is VLF and there are a few places I find impossible to use it. The worst is red sandstone which is very "hot". But most places I can get by and have found a few bits. I have heard of a few guys using the SDC2300 and are doing OK by Tassie standards. There are a few bigger nuggets around but in the northeast you would mostly be looking for sub gram bits which the SDC is geared for. I just don't think there is enough bigger bits here to spend $3000 + on a PI machine, but I would like to try one.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I also had a lot of hassles with my VLF. It didn't handle red mineralised soil or rocks too well, and unfortunately they're common in our goldfields.
I now use an SDC 2300 and I'm having good success with it.
These are from the last couple of days detecting in the northeast:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alwayslookin

Post by alwayslookin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Very nice, looks like the SDC is the go! Do you still find many hot rocks or does it run pretty quiet ? How much did the big one weigh ?

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Hot rocks are rarely a problem. The big one is three grams exactly.

seanr0

Post by seanr0 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:21 am

Hi all new to the website
Have had a lot of advice from others regarding detector for tassie. People are saying pi detectors scd2300 gpz7000 and garrett atx are not the right detector for tassie and that the fishers and whites arw better. Im new to detecting and decided on a gold bug 2 by fisher. I live in launceston and will be doing trip to NE gold feild in coming weeks if any one want to meet up and share a bit of knowledge. Would really appreciate

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:50 am

Hi seanr0,

As to PI detectors being unsuitable here, I think you have it completely back to front. PI are the bees knees, if you can afford them. My SDC has found me gold the last two outings, though research is probably the most important aspect there. The Whites TDI Oz Pro is a PI and might be good, but maybe less sensitive to the small stuff. VLFs like all the Fishers WILL have problems in areas of mineralised soil and hot rocks, which includes most of our gold fields. The issue there (and I speak from experience) is that you'll have to tone down the sensitivity so much to cope with the screaming soil, that you will miss small nuggets. PI machines as a rule ignore hot soil and rocks (but no detector is 100% immune). Don't get me wrong, I love my VLF, but I have relegated it to coin shooting.

I would be very sceptical of someone telling you that one brand is better than another. Most brands have their standout products. I can tell you I know of two SDC 2300 being wielded at the moment (mine is one) that consistently produce gold. I know of areas that have produced quite a bit with a GPX 5000. I also know of people having done well in some areas with VLFs, so don't totally discount them. The Fisher Gold Bug II (I think) was renowned as the best machine for tiny specimens in mullock heaps. I would recommend to do some more research about what people are using to find stuff today. My picture above is from stuff I picked up over Easter using a Minelab SDC 2300. Some of the pieces weigh as little as 0.04 grams, and the larger 3 gram one came from about six inches down.

I suspect Jack Lange might be the source of some of your advice? Please keep in mind that he has a commercial advantage by steering people to the brands he sells.

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:52 am

These are my Easter nuggets from the northeast, found using an SDC:
Easter nuggets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seanr0

Post by seanr0 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for your post mfdes

My online research and what people tell me face to face are two completely different things.
Will be investing in a pi machine very shortly in the meantime i see what the goldbug 2 can do. What are your thoughts on the gpz7000???

mfdes

Post by mfdes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Hahaha... my thoughts are that I wish I could afford one!!!

No, seriously, they're the best machine out there, but heavy and the larger coils are hard to use in the thick scrub, which is common down here. I'm happy with my SDC which is 1/3 the price, but the GPZ could find a 1 ounce nugget at incredible depth, whereas I could manage 35, maybe 40 cm.

If you haven't already checked them out, the Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum and the Prospecting Australia forum contain a huge amount of advice and information, but not much about Tassie.

Good luck!