Tassie soil.

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

acfish

Re: Tassie soil.

Postby acfish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Ill second Miguel, SDC is the bees nees, and will fins you gold in Tas, Vic WA and probably a few other places. GPX 4500/5000 are also good, but the cords are a hassle in the tas bush.
All the minelabs have excellent resale and you are supporting an Australian company.

seanr0

Postby seanr0 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Busy at lefroy on the weekend spent 6 hours detecting. And got to know the fisher goldbug 2.Found hot rocks bullet shells bottle caps nuts and bolts and simply amazed with the amount of rubbish people dump in the bush. No gold found.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Sean, yes Lefroy is a pigsty. But then so's Mathinna. It seems like the standard behaviour is to dump all the rubbish down the gold hole.

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Has anyone on here found any gold at Lefroy? I saw a picture of a 2 gram nugget supposedly from there but I have struck out every time. I have found heaps of other stuff though, including a kitchen sink. Lol

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 pm

I haven't myself, but I know it on good authority (previous leaseholder) that nuggets have been found there recently (last few years, detected) and in more than one area. I've been doing a fair bit of research recently, and I mean to get up there and try out some specific areas where shallow nuggets were found back in the day.
I'll report when I get back.

alwayslookin

Postby alwayslookin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 pm

If you want any company, let me know, I'm just across the river. There are a few spots to the south that look interesting as well. I would like to see an SDC in action.

mfdes

Postby mfdes » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:06 am

I'm likely to be coming that way once the weather gets too cold to be in the creek. I've had a look around the Pinafore area, the Volunteer, Specimen Hill and Monarch mine areas, so far also with no luck in any of those. There's plenty of ground to cover, though.
I'll send you a msg if I'm going up.