Detecting trip West

Metal Detecting and Prospecting trips around Tasmania

Moderator: Philski

acfish

Detecting trip West

Postby acfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 am

Greetings,
a few months ago had the chance to head to Kalgoolie for a bit of metal detecting. Luckily had a good mate living there working on the mines, and another mate, an experienced detectorist from Vic keen for a long drive over.

I was wise enough to fly over for a week.
Having not ever done any detecting in the past, hired a gpx 5000 for $350 for the week.
Got the hang of it quite quickly with a bit of instruction from my mate.

Only did day trips from kal, and found gold on about half the days. Best day saw the two of us find about 20 small nuggets for 9g for the day. This was all in the bottom of an old (50+ years old) open cut on the bedrock/clay layer.

Very enjoyable trip, with much learned, another trip planned for next year.

a few tips:
learn how to use tengraph, ozyeplorer a google earth to find you spots and to ensure you are not claim jumping.
focus around old workings in spite of constantly finding junk bits of steel.
try not to waste too much time driving from place to place (as we did), we found gold within site of the main hwy.

And remember swing low and slow!

cheers
Andrew
IMG_2207 sml.JPG
IMG_2207 sml.JPG (69.07 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

IMG_2209 sml.JPG
IMG_2209 sml.JPG (44.63 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

IMG_2213 sml.JPG
IMG_2213 sml.JPG (44.43 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

Philski

Re: Detecting trip West

Postby Philski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Thats cool Andrew. Very crystalline Gold too. i "imagined" it more rounded for some reason. Ancient lands, i guess. Um, What sort of depth did you get the small nuggets at? With My detector it would have to be sitting on the surface, on top of a rock. I wouldnt mind a gpx5000 but am "hoping" by the time i can can actually afford to buy one. Minelab will release one with inbuilt connectivity like the CTX 3030, but with todays 5000 performance or better.

Thanks for sharing your awesome WA adventure above too.

Have a great day
Phillip

Shinystuff

Postby Shinystuff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Andrew,
Did you manage to fit in another trip to WA this year? I would be very interested to hear about it if you did. I've been considering a WA trip for a very long time.
Regards,
Mel

acfish

Postby acfish » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 am

No trip this year, maybe next May.
Having a mate in Kal and direct flights from Melbourne makes it not such a big trip.
Just saw a pic from my mates neighbour, picked up a 15g nugget from some pending ground close to Kal, so they are still out there!