Victorian Gold Fields - Creswick

Regional Tasmanian Geology split along Area Codes 62 63 64.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Victorian Gold Fields - Creswick

Postby Philski » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 pm

As so many Tasmanian prospectors visiting Victoria each year in search of gold. I thought i would start compiling a list of known Victorian goldfields, with maps for any one interested.

This is the first of many. Full mapping including deep leads and surface gold in each area, depth of wash, location, gold size and written geological information is available. The majority of gold in Creswick is to the West of the old town with the main leads running in a nw/sw trending direction. many areas to the east are barren.

please contact me directly for detailed info on any field. Some things are best left off the internet. The map below was published in 1880. And the detailed info is also from the same era.

source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-rm2336-2

Fox

Re: Victorian Gold Fields - Creswick

Postby Fox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks Phil, will stop off at Creswick and Clunes on the way Maryborough on Saturday and have a detect. Have a copy of James Flett's "The History of Gold Discovery in Victoria" with me which is full of useful info and maps, so with the help of your maps too should be able to find a productive area.
Will post progress reports and photos of any finds. :)
Cheers, Fox.

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:56 am

Hi fox. im uploading all these Victorian geological reports as pdf today. They are quite large at 50-100 pages each and will take a day or so to upload the lot. but i will get the areas you mentioned done first. They may be too large for a phone so will try and optimize the file size so it quicker. But just want to get what i have online as possible and worry about the speed of it all later on.

There are another 60 odd reports as well. And then the maps. They are similar to the helpful Broadhurst's maps. Like Back creek and Golconda etc.

im still looking for a special geological report that has even better info on shallow surface workings than the later reports. So more applicable to gold detecting in Victoria today.

1 Chiltern gold-field Hunter, S.B., 1903.
2 Castlemaine gold-field Baragwanath, W., 1903.
3 Wood's Point gold-field Whitelaw, O.A.L., 1905.
4 Ballarat East gold-field Gregory, J.W., et al., 1907.
5 Berringa gold-field Baragwanath, W., 1907.
6 The Buffalo mountains Dunn, E.J., 1908.
7 Deep leads of Victoria Hunter, S.B., 1909.
8 Report on the Lower Powlett, Cape Paterson & Inverloch quarter sheets Ferguson, W.H., 1909.
9 Geology of Camperdown and Mount Elephant districts Grayson, H.J., et al., 1910.
10 Wedderburn gold-field : petrographical notes Whitelaw, O.A.L., et al., 1911.
11 Maryborough gold-field Howitt, A.M., 1913.
12 List of nuggets found in Victoria Dunn, E.J., 1912.
13 Topography, geology and mines of the Wood's Point district Whitelaw, O.A.L., 1916.
14 Ballarat gold-field Baragwanath, W., 1923.
15 Aberfeldy district, Gippsland Baragwanath, W., et al., 1925.
16 Geology of the Eildon Dam project Thomas, D.E., 1947.
17 Mornington Peninsula Keble, R.A., 1950.
18 Clay and shale deposits of Victoria Keble, R.A., et al., 1952.
19 Lower Silurian fossils from the "Illaenus Band", Heathcote, Victoria Opik, A.A., 1953.
20 Fossil Cheilostomatous Polyzoa from south west Victoria Brown, D.A., 1957.
21 Geology of Buchan area, East Gippsland Teichert, C., et al., 1958.
22 Geology and geomorphology of the Portland area Boutakoff, N.A., 1963.
23 Tertiary foraminifera from Gippsland, Victoria and their stratigraphical significance Carter, A.N., 1964.
24 The Devonian of the Mitchell and Wentworth rivers Talent, J.A., 1963.
25 The geology and structure of the Grampians area, Western Victoria Spencer-Jones, D., 1965.
26 Silurian and early Devonian faunas of the Heathcote district, Victoria Talent, J.A., 1965.
27 Geomorphology and upper Cainozoic geology of south east Gippsland, Victoria Jenkin, J.J., 1968.
28 Mesozoic floras of Victoria (Parts 1 & 2) Douglas, J.G., 1969.
29 Mesozoic floras of Victoria (Part 3) Douglas, J.G., 1973.
30 Geology, hydrodynamics and hydrochemistry of the southern Murray Basin Vols 1 & 2 Lawrence, C.R., 1975.
31 Geology of the Anglesea area, central coastal Victoria Abele, C., 1979.

Credits: Victorian department of mines - Australian national Library - Victorian Department of State Development, Business and Innovation, Victoria, Australia.

Philski

Postby Philski » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Maryborough Gold Field Victoria
download/gological_survey_report_victoria_Memoirs_1-31/Memoirs/Maryborough-gold-field.pdf

image of South Ballarat gold fields sevasterpol, Buninyong etc,,
http://tinyurl.com/sevasterpol

The best area in Clunes to detect looks to be the inside bend of the train tracks between Learmonth road and Boundry street. and up towards town. And, it all sits on vacant blocks of land!
clunes.png
clunes
clunes.png (857.06 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

clunes-hot-spot.png
clunes-hot-spot.png (685.19 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Cl ... a430a07960

kaner

Postby kaner » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey Fox
If you need any help with Creswick just sing out as Creswick is my home field im only ten minutes drive away, an atx pulled a 6 ozr last weekend, only 300 yards up stream from number three campground in a well worked gulley.

thanks Kane

Fox

Postby Fox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Kane, thanks heaps for your offer of help with Creswick.It would be awesome to catch up with you again. I will be stopping briefly in Ballarat to pick up an 8"x6" mono coil for the GPX5000 and estimate being in Creswick around 10am so perhaps we could meet up for a coffee and then hit the diggings if you are free. You're welcome to have a try with my ATX and see if we can find another 6ozr or its big brothers.
Thanks again Phil for your much appreciated help with the maps and info.

Cheers, Fox

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:33 am

Hey kane and fox

did you notice the map of Creswick above does not quite hit the area the 6 oz nugget came out of! darn it,, The map is further north and a little to the w'right of the gully with the big stuff i think. silly map. (am i close) :)

I wish, i could get over there for a few days. Even for an afternoon would be good. I honestly didnt expect so many people or houses in the area of Creswick township itself. i thought it would have been a small county village or ghost town by now, but its really quite substantial. I think i need to install ninja mode on my detector before i go over.. lol

kaner

Postby kaner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Fox and Phill

Give me a tingle when you hit Ballarat 0410026496 .
The 130 blew the auto gearbox yesterday so i might not be able to make it if wife needs car, either way drop me a line.
The Creswick field is vast and the work the old timers did is mind blowing just like all the fields over here, they make Tasssie fields look like a drop in the ocean. the Portuguese and Chinese were a big part of establishing the field. like so many others in the triangle, even as late as 1930 Lenny Goldsmith with hydraulic sluicing took kilos of gold nuggets some as big as cricket balls.

kane

Dazza

Postby Dazza » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 am

hi Phillip,the info that you've retrieved is very informative ,in the report on Marlborough is very in-depth reading about some of the reefs were i go around when i go over there you can read about the shallow alluvial areas ,got your pm re dunolly it would be great if you could get some info on that area ,as you know that's were i spend most of my time around there when i go over,i have the john tully maps on dunolly ,Marlborough and talbet areas but there fairly basic ,they show the diggings but quite a few are not on there ,i think they were designed that way ????? he must of got his info from somewhere, any way well done , FOX keep us up to date safe travel's mate,DAZZA.

Fox

Postby Fox » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 am

Hi Kane, sorry to hear about your Landy. No problem to pick you up if you don't have wheels & we can do a recce in my vehicle. With a bit of luck, old Lenny Goldsmith may have missed a cricket ball or two. Even a golf ball sized one would more than cover the cost of a new transmission for your old girl. :)