Tasmania In Gondwanaland

Regional Tasmanian Geology split along Area Codes 62 63 64.

Moderator: Philski

admin
Site Admin

Tasmania In Gondwanaland

Postby admin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 pm

HI all

I cant stop thinking about the super continent Gondwanaland and our place in its history. The time as we broke away and the changes it would have caused. Being one of the last places to leave Gondwana and float upwards and to the East and the events that brought us to our current position on the earth.

i Think,, The Ross Orogeny in Antarctica created the divide that made us and Mainland Australia crack off.
or helped a great deal, its a whopper. The range, also called the Transantarctic Mountains runs 3500km right across Antarctica and in places looks just like Tassie on google street view. We only broke away a relatively short time ago. And the Conglomerate Cappings here many millions of years older are its massive rivers. Some 80km wide. As we broke away, what was flowing to sea one way, reversed and fell in the opposite direction. Towards the west. Or tilted dramatically :shock:

A recent petrochemical Analise puts us closer to South Australia than Victoria and interestingly Russia. Modern Mapping could also indicate "stuff ive been doing" we drifted 4000km east using the skids and indicators on the plates. The drift pattern is similar to South Americas "cats tail". And Geologically makes a a better match and sense, than South Australia.

i think, "only because Victoria is too easy a choice. we came from WA. The Arther Lineament matches the Kalgoorlie run for direction and the scrape lines run straight to us. And many characteristics. Even though i have never been west. Perhaps with Tasmania on the same side of the hill as the Gondwanaland fault. i did some photos and anyway, its only a perhaps.. at best. but funny to think we might be from way over there.

will upload the photos when i find them,

Philski

Re: Tasmania In Gondwanaland

Postby Philski » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 pm

i had the opportunity to listen to the Ross Cayley, Senior Geologist at the Geological Survey of Victoria give an amazing talk about The Lachlan Orocline and the formation of eastern Australia – a unifying geodynamic model under development for Devonian Tasmania recently.

He proposes Tasmania drifted upwards and bumped into Australia leading to subduction and a mass collapse of the continent , forming the East Coast of Australia as we know it today. Computer modelling using our known faults and our existing orogenesis systems the Ross -Delamerian etc, are helping expand our gold and base metal knowledge in a way nobody has ever done before. This is world class info and a ground breaking insight into the formation of our continent. And i hope you guys enjoy it.

Tasmanide-Vandiland.png
Tasmanide-Vandiland.png (219.74 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Image source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/va ... 33_F1.html[/url]

A copy of the presentation can be found here
http://www.aig.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Cayley-The-Lachlan-Orocline-of-Eastern-Australia-presentation.pdf

http://www.aig.org.au/cayley-the-lachla ... australia/
Source: Ross Cayley (2014) The Lachlan Orocline and the formation of eastern Australia – a unifying geodynamic model under development for Devonian Tasmania. Geoscience Australia - Geological Survey of Victoria

He had myself and many of our states most experienced and knowledgeable geologists in awe.

Philski

ARC Center of Excellence in Ore deposits Gondwanaland Thesis

Postby Philski » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:16 pm

An interesting Gondwanaland tectonic thesis from Tasmanian PHD student Jacob Mulder of the Center of Excellence in Ore Deposits (CODES) Utas
http://www.ausimm.com.au/content/docs/branch/2014/tasmania_2014_1218_presentation.pdf
Source: Jacob Mulder (2014) From Nuna to Gondwana: An examinaon of the early tectonic history of Tasmania