Devonport Gold

Alluvial / Terrace / Deep Lead Prospecting

Moderator: Philski

james85

Devonport Gold

Postby james85 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi guys. Im new to the forum and just wanted to share this pic of some gold I got from horsehead creek just under the powerlines over a few trips. I dug down into some clay and the gold was mostly in that.
James
20150426_135205.jpg
20150426_135205.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 1306 times

alwayslookin

Re: Devonport Gold

Postby alwayslookin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:39 pm

hello James,
Well done, some nice chunky bits there ! That's great that you can get good gold so close to town . I have heard that there was an alluvial area not far away on the Forth River on a bend just west of Paloona. I haven't been there but it might be worth a look. If you go, let me know how you went.
Good luck
Tim

shanep

Postby shanep » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Very nice, has anyone else had success around the Devonport area, i have recently moved here and ready to get some gold

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:00 am

I've tried a few places from under the Paloona Bridge on the east side of the Forth river to about 500m downstream on the without
success. Upstream where the MRT map show gold has access via private property. I would also be very interested to know if anyone has tried up there and if the landowner allows people to pass on their property.

Philski

Postby Philski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Warren

The gold is just downstream from the Forth river - Wilmot river confluence. The easiest to get gold is in the roots of the weeds when the river is right down. fine colours etc all the way down to the Canoe club.

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks Phil. I"ll go and have a look. Down to the canoe club leaves plenty of margin too!
Tried without success to get to the wire gold at Winterbook Creek today. Bridge which was damaged by the big floods a while back is still in need of repair. Just to be sure you don't try and cross it, they have dug a ditch across the road and put a dumptruck load of dirt there as well. Didn't feel up to a 7km hike to get there. One of these days.....

ron

Postby ron » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:10 am

hey James

it appears that you may now be suffering from gold fever. may your fines be as plentiful as your efforts!!!

cheers

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 am

hey all, philski is spot on. i was working up there last week and stopped at the forth river just downstream from where the wilmot joins on. i stopped at the bus shed and walked down the the river which is all bedrock and fairly easy digging to get some nice chunky colour. its an easy spot to find as there are big high voltage power lines running over the river at this point (so dont even bother with a detector here) i was there for about an hour and get some nice bits. wish i had more time really as i was just getting into the swing of it! best of luck.
Attachments
forth3.png
forth2.png
forth1.png

troglodyte

Postby troglodyte » Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Be a bit dangerous panning in the forth so close to the dam, never know when they open up the powerstation!

warrenaw

Postby warrenaw » Tue May 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Troglodyte is right. Today was my 3rd trip there and the first where the water was down enough to do some panning. 1st and 3rd pans had colour. 4th pan, and the water level had come up nearly over my gumboots while I was washing the last of the fine stuff from the turbopan. It comes up fast indeed! Nothing in 2nd or 4th pan. Well worth a look, but beware the darned changing water levels.