WOW,,, Sluice Box approval- Multi year licence.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

WOW,,, Sluice Box approval- Multi year licence.

Post by Philski » Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 pm

THANK YOU Mineral Resources Tasmania. They have allowed sluice boxes to be used again in Tasmania and clarifying and elaborating on other areas in both the prospecting licence and the mineral resources development Act. Its worth a read to familiarise yourself with it and the new regulations.
http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/docume ... 32c487396
Size of the sluice is under 1 meter long and by able to be carried in by one person. non motorised.

up to 5 years licence.

Group licence, kids welcome,, its a great step forward after so long without and im very thankful

Thank you also and importantly to every single person that asked for change. Its an important step. And, to MRT for listening. Bravo.

Dave79

Re: WOW,,, Sluice Box approval- Multi year licence.

Post by Dave79 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks for finally throwing us a bone. Hopefully I can get my hands on a sluice that fits the rules soon cos it's getting a bit like hard work test panning all the local creeks. To everyone who has asked for this, thanks and good luck.
Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one always gets away!

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 pm

I've noticed quite a few battery powered sluices on YouTube in use Tassie, are these legal?

TravOz

Post by TravOz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm asking the same question after watching guys using a bilge pump and battery source at Doctors Rocks on youtube... wouldn't a battery powered pump constitute (motorised)... would be great if they could be a little clearer in there description of whats allowed versus whats not... very grey area rules in Tassie :( ... 99% of us just want to do what's right. in saying this just ordered a pump hahahha because talking to MRT it really seems like they don't even know so until told otherwise.
More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth. GPX 4500

Philski

Post by Philski » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 am

They are not allowed here. However some discretion has been shown in the Doctors Rocks tidal environment.

From memory,, There is a provision in the MRDA (1995) for the distance water can be moved away from a stream system. I asked if i could siphon water within the stream system, A hose has no moving parts and hand held and they said yes. im not dredging or hydrosluicing and get enough flow to run a small cleanup sluice or cold cube etc.

2 inch pipe with some 10-1 fall will run a small sluice easily and the flow is more controlled than the stream ever changing flow so cleanup and capture rate is so much better. It may be a simple alternative to run a sluice over mechanical pumps and the like. Ive been mucking around with laminar flow filters in the pipe, but it does not make much difference once the water hits obstructions like rocks and riffles.