few days out west

Gold gem and treasure Prospecting trips in and around Tasmania.

Moderator: Philski

mids0n

few days out west

Postby mids0n » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 am

g'day all,
Ive got next week off work and think i might finally get up and have a scratch around corinna. probably swag it up there for a night or two before heading back down to queenstown and have a dig/swing around the king river region. i will most likely be heading up on sunday around lunch, if anyone would care to join me, send us a pm or buzz me on 0418949899. Cheers Brendan

jimmynails

Re: few days out west

Postby jimmynails » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi Brendan, hoping to go on my first trip to the West this Thursday-Friday with a mate of mine. Travelling from Hobart, so really hoping to locate something yellow for our troubles. Was thinking of targeting King River as well, and possibly exploring either a bit of the northern parts or lower near Garfield. Really hoping they might be the places to look. Anyone know if they have produced well or if there might be better producing rivers? Don't need specific spots (as that is too valuable information) just a rough area to consider. Also, Brendan, if you might be there around that time (we are thinking Thursday) it would be great to catch up. I'll be swinging an SDC, and am contemplating whether an XP Deus might be worth while to bring along as well. Cheers, James :-)

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:01 am

Hey James, unforunately it's the hugs bday on thursday and she's demanded i be back to spend some time with her, so i'll be heading up sunday lunch and coming back wed night. im thinking i'm going to target the mt donaldson area and perhaps have a look a some old workings... tbh i feel like a kid on xmas and have no idea which way to look just coz there seems to be so many promising locations. i also have an sdc which i havent found any yellow with, so thats my main goal. dont care the size i just want to locate something with it other than relics or trash. wouldve been great to meet up with someone as i'll be travelling alone but will have to save it for next time :)

tagalong

Postby tagalong » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm

hi brendan hope you let us know how go on your trip,sounds like a nice adventure you have planned.
im a newcomer to detecting and would enjoy a few days prospecting in the area's that you are visiting,but cannot get away due to family commitments at this time.hope it all goes well.....regards mark

PaulG

Postby PaulG » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:50 am

Love to come but working all weekend. Good luck.

mids0n

Postby mids0n » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:50 pm

g'day all. Had an absolute blast up there. the weather was amazing and we found a bit of gold. i took my mate tom who had prospected a few times but never found anything so it was great to show him the ropes and watch the reaction on his face when he found his first speck. we camped on middleton creek and prospected both sides of the road. obviously the creek had been heavily worked which was quite obvious but there were some patches where we found some ok gold. (4-5 specks per pan) tom even found a nice rough bit. i spent a good few hours on my SDC2300 but unfortunately turned up no nuggets. certainly learnt alot about the area and cannot wait for the next trip. i dare say i'll be going up again in the next month or so if anyones keen to meet up for a dig, chuck us a hoy!
Attachments
middleton creek gold.jpg

jimmynails

Postby jimmynails » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 am

Awesome work Brendan!

We spent practically our 24 hour period exploring what we could around Queenstown, and headed up to Corinna to view the land. Found a couple of interesting creeks where one contained tonnes of flour - just we had no way of collecting or processing it. We also stumbled across 3 strong signals inside 3 big rocks - but didn't have the equipment to crack them open. Don't think they were hot rocks as the signals were isolated to specific areas. Had fun all the same, but it was a steep learning curve as to the terrain.
I've also gained a greater appreciation for Miguel and the others who do a tonne of research prior to their trips as well as lining up permissions etc. Reckon when we go next time I'll do at least a couple of months planning and isolating a few sections before we go. I also reckon grabbing a portable GPS would be a must around both areas. On top of all that, am planning to sign up to PMAT :-)