the pieman

General Discussion

Moderator: Philski

john00s

the pieman

Postby john00s » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

anyone been to the pieman in a boat? I was thinking of going this weekend or the next pending on the weather . if anyone was interested just one person would be great.
cheers,
steve.

admin
Site Admin

Re: the pieman

Postby admin » Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 pm

i wish i could,,, The only Gold show right on the river is Downstream from Corinna under lovers falls. A young couple supposedly found enough gold for them to return home and buy a hotel in Hobart. circa 1890's. I havent had a look there yet. Then there is the Donaldson and Savage River and the Whyte river. I have sampled the Whyte River around to Savage River and then up to the bridge. the Whyte offered the least. The major Donaldson River working is approx 3km upstream on the right and is 3/4 to the top of Sabbath / Sunday Creek.

Ron Gregory Prospecting has the exploration tenement covering the above from the Whyte to the north of Mount Donaldson. The other areas south (Lucy etc) are Hellier/Bass metals from memory. And they just sold to Ivy Resources. So, Im not sure if the BM's Exploration partner is going ahead or not at this stage. Probably not. Ivy Resources is Chinese owned. However i did hear a deal fell over for $17 million and another it sold at $11 million.

Anyway, upstream offers foot access to Lucy Creek, Nancy Creek and Paradise River fields and Frenchmans Creek to the east on the other side of the spur. Lucy is overgrown at the river mouth and is easy to miss. The track in is on the left going up. Thats as far in as i have been.

failing that, its sensational fishing down there...

john00s

Postby john00s » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 pm

is there a boat ramp at corinna?

ratters

Postby ratters » Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 am

If one had a boat I would think a very interesting trip could be had on the Pieman, given the anecdotal evidence that almost every small stream or tributary to the Pieman carried some values.
That idea crossed my mind some time ago and I would definitely be interested in doing such a trip, stopping along the various creeks and doing pans here & there.

john00s

Postby john00s » Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 pm

hi ratters this weekend is out now for me something has come up and the weather does not look good but if you pm me your phone number we can plan a trip for the weeks ahead ,cheers
steve

Philski

Postby Philski » Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

The Corinna Boat ramp is just down stream from the fatman Ferry (river crossing punt) and is accessed via the carpark just past the interpretive signage to the right. The hotel and accommodation is on the left and back up the road a bit. Camping is approx $20 for an unpowered camp site. the offer some amazing and affordable accommodation too considering its location and lack of services. Best road in from the north is via Bastion dam and Reece dam wall and across on the ferry. The Savage river mine road and Explorer road are both admiral roads. But the bitumen near all the way and spectacular scenery beat it on the bastion dam way in.

The gold in every tributary is in reference to Savage river not the Pieman.

Joke,, did you hear about the two cannibals that ate a clown for christmas lunch?
one cannibal says to the other.. "Does this taste a little bit funny to you"

ratters

Postby ratters » Mon May 13, 2013 10:06 am

Sorry I dont mean to be passing off misinformation, i do so much reading and research about gold in Tas that it probably gets a bit mixed up at times! I think perhaps I was recalling the following..

"Early in 1882, numerous diggers worked in the Nancy Creek, Lucy Creek and Paradise River, all tributaries to the Pieman River south-east of Corinna. All the creeks in that area carried heavy gold"

WheresWally

Postby WheresWally » Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 pm

WheresWally

Postby WheresWally » Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

And just for the record Ratters, i have only come accross one duffer so far and it is a nameless creek running into the pieman from the west side about 20km south of corinna so what you read was fairly accurate its just that access is a nightmare to these creeks/rivers so no one goes there unlike the savage/whyte area that can be easily accessed from the road some 40 odd minutes before corinna. I honestly believe i will eventually find a newsworthy nugget on the paradise river/creek junction area...

My great uncle prospected paradise for maybe 30 years with great results until age started to hinder access and it was an easier treck to the whyte and rocky area where he also made a living...

As nice as it would be to jump out of your car in the k'mart car park and trip over a nugget its just not ever going to happen, much like prospecting just off the road on the whyte and savage rivers, everyone has done that, but head 23klms up a river, set up camp, spend a day hiking through some of the densest bushland you have ever seen and you get to places that you know very few have ever been and those that have, didn't come packing the technology we have today. Just my take on things of course.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi ratters my bad. Sprent wrote of the gold in the pieman, too. sorry.. I assumed the savage as its the richest area in what was called the pieman river field. And there is little to no gold upstream of paradise river junction on the pieman. I helped blow up the railway bridge to build the pieman dam many decades ago. so i have a fairly good and long association with the area. I dont mean to misinform anyone.

Soon after the discovery of gold at Middleton's Creek the diggers found out that gold was almost present in large accumulations of gravels, gravel banks and often high up on the hills in the neighbourhood of the creek, though only in very small 'colours'. They eventually found payable gold in nearly every creek running into the Donaldson, Savage and Whyte Rivers. (the bit i remembered) sorry again.

The Pieman River Goldfield, also called the Corinna Goldfield stretched from the Donaldson River to the Meredith Range, a distance of about 20 kilometres. It ran north of the Pieman River for about 15 kilometres and included the Brown Plains area. Also in the goldfield was the area south-east of Corinna, containing Nancy Creek, Lucy Creek and the Paradise River.

In December 1879 two prospectors, Ted Peevor and George Johnson found gold in a creek on Long Plain not far from the present Savage River mining town. The discovery of gold in this new area, about 30 kilometres north of the Pieman River, resulted in a small rush. But the creek, later named Big Duffer Creek, was not up to expectations and was deserted. Two years later Tom Smith and Harry Howard went down to a creek running in the opposite direction to the Big Duffer Creek. There they found coarse gold in very rich concentrations. They worked this area undisturbed for two months and recovered about 450 ounces of gold. The creek which was known as Smiths Creek which was later re-named Obsidian Creek was one of the richest on the West Coast.

It is interesting to note that the best gold was found in the slate crevices in the creek beds. At the junction of Smiths Creek and Townsend's Creek, Tom Smith and his partner obtained 120 ounces from a piece of ground measuring 6 metres by 3 metres. It was reported that a Mr Crewse and his partner got 60 ounces in four days from a crevice. Mr Luke and his partner got 60 ounces. Conray and his party recovered 200 ounces. The heaviest nugget, 8¾ ounces, was found by Broderick and party in Grays Creek.