Gold Chemistry (or any substance) Specific heat capacity

Metallurgy

The science of Turning rocks into Metal. Crushing, grinding, concentrating, pre roasting and smelting of ores into valuable metallic products and biproducts. Covering Hydrometallurgy, Pyrometallurgy, leaching, the environment, thermodynamics and science and energy.

Moderator: Philski

Philski

Gold Chemistry (or any substance) Specific heat capacity

Postby Philski » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:00 pm

This semester my University studies are going into chemistry and algebra - trigonometry. The chemistry side has had immediate benefits. And, many applications already. Its an extension of what i learned in metallurgy. The algebra is for fun and the historical side of it. It has limited applications in prospecting. so far..
Someone asked on the school forum what is chemistry?
"For me it was the reaction involved making a cup of tea for my wife this morning. You know when you put milk in first and it does not draw the tea as well as when you steep it in boiling Water before the milk.

i always imagined the milk coated the tea to stop it leaching. silly me. And this morning thinking about it chemically. I now imagine the Milk containing its lactic acid and amino protine acids and the Tea is an alkaloid. The result is a PH change and reduction in the chemical reaction rate.

i tried to "Express it" (pun again)..

H2O + C3H6O3 (lactic acid)= PH 8.0 + H2O + T ( = PH 6.0 x 0.5 = 7.0

leaving a balanced PH of 7.0

It was fun to do, and i learned something new on the way, and got in the good books with my wife, as a bonus!"

The above nonsense is a forced equation and not correct. Close, but not accurate.

To measure golds calorific value.
The equation we can use to see if a sample is real gold or fake is its heat capacity is actually very simple.
"A 1.6-g sample of a metal that has the appearance of gold requires 5.8 J of energy to change its temperature from 23 C to 41 C. is the metal pure gold?"
Source: Chemistry (2008) Steven Zumdahl | ISBN-10: 0547125321 | ISBN-13: 978-0547125329 |

Given:^T = 41 C - 21 C = 18 C

Using the data given, we can calculate the value to the one for gold 0.13 J We know that.
Q = s x m x ^T

Q= energy (heat) required
s =specific heat capacity
m = mass 1.6-g
^T = change in temp 18 C

thus, specific heat capacity is the Energy used, divided / by the mass of the sample, times X by the temp change.

1.6 x 18 / 5.8 = 0.2013889 rounded to 0.20

Golds specific heat capacity is super fast 0.13 the sample at 0.20 is not pure gold.
While the above is true. And, quite a simple and accurate measure of a substances purity. Not many people have access to the analytical equipment needed to measure an elements calorific value at home. but, its also something ive never seen mentioned in any mining reports or prospecting methods before so worth exploring more. measuring the rate of temp change. can also work in reverse.

The reason i think this is of value is because we can today use low Earth orbit satellite thermal imaging to detect temperature anomalies on Earth surface from space. There would also have to be software that flattens contours or isolates them to lessen the effect of temp altitude gradients. It would work i think on any massive surface deposits. Iron, Silica, Sphalerite, Galena, Corundum, Cassiterite, etc. And, because of gold incredibly low heat capacity. compared to the iron rich host rock It may even pick up decomposed gold veins on the surface, because the rock surrounding the vein is at least 8 times slower to cool. WA as an example.

The planet Mars in 2010 had its mineralogy mapped with a thermal imaging equipped satellite called THEMIS. NASA